The High School (THS) at Vancouver Island University is a BC certified, independent school that offers the best of both worlds for Canadian and international students in grades 10 to 12—a high school and a university.
We are uniquely situated on, and have access to all of the resources and amenities of the university campus at VIU.
We accept students in Grades 10-12 from the greater Nanaimo area and from around the world. Small class sizes, individual attention and opportunities for intercultural understanding are only a few of the hallmarks of this school. Starting your journey here allows qualified graduates direct admission to Vancouver Island University in order to continue the journey to post-secondary studies and beyond!
Whether a student loves to study, is a potential future leader, has a special talent to nurture outside of class, or needs the academic or social-emotional support that a small, dedicated high school offers, they can thrive with The High School at VIU.
WHAT MAKES US DIFFERENT?
• Internationally respected and recognized British Columbia (BC) Dogwood Diploma, which opens doors to university entrance worldwide
• Small class sizes with a student-teacher ratio of 12:1
• One to one technology initiative putting a Chromebook laptop into the hands of every student
• Dual credit courses in grade 12, letting you earn high school and university credits at the same time
• Intensive English Language Learning support through a comprehensive set of courses aimed at preparing students to graduate from a Canadian high school and study in English at a university level
• Independence and flexibility of learning on a university campus
• A multicultural educational environment, which acknowledges and respects the contributions of various ethnic groups, and incorporates them in the program of instruction
• Access to university facilities (including cafeteria, gymnasium, library and health clinic)
Next: Student Testimonials